February 23, 2017

Making Sure Public Lands are Public

Hunting, fishing, climbing, recreating, and enjoying our outdoors are central to Idaho’s western heritage. That outdoor heritage includes both public lands and state managed lands. From the Selkirks to the Owyhees, Idaho’s public lands are a treasure that belongs to Idahoans and all Americans. National forests and public lands – and the freedom to enjoy them – are the very …

Continue reading
February 17, 2017

Passing Bonds: HJR3 to Help our Communities Grow

The Constitution of the State of Idaho clearly outlines that the legislature is required to establish and maintain a free, general, uniform, public school system. However, the Idaho Legislature has continually left Idaho schools behind with inadiquate funding levels. As schools continue to face maintenance, inflated costs and as student populations increase, the passing of these measures ensures our schools are able to …

Continue reading
February 17, 2017

Apprenticeships: What Idaho’s Workforce Needs

While Idaho’s industries grow and look for skilled workers, students seek prosperous paths for their futures without being buried by student loans. Thankfully, Idaho has a perfect solution: apprenticeships. Through structured programs taught by the best and brightest in Idaho, apprenticeships offer opportunities to learn skills, receive nationally recognized certifications, and earn competitive wages through the process. As the legislature seeks programs to …

Continue reading
February 13, 2017

Future of Dry Creek Ranch: Call to Action

Representative Melissa Wintrow, my counterpart for District 19, met with several concerned citizens last Friday about a proposal to develop Dry Creek Ranch just north of Hidden Springs. The citizens of Dry Creek question if the plan is good for the area and if there was appropriate public notice for the December Planning and Zoning hearing. If you didn’t get notice …

Continue reading
February 10, 2017

Medicaid in Idaho

Idaho Voices for Children recently released an overview of Medicaid’s impact on Idaho’s children and families. In the report, Idaho Voices explains that 92% of Idahoans enrolled in Medicaid are low-income children, seniors, pregnant women, and people with disabilities, while the remaining 8% being mostly low-income parents. By serving such marginalized groups, Medicaid helps those who need help most. Medicaid has been providing …

Continue reading